This blog post is to summarize the complete installation process of SCCM 2012 SP1 into a checklist for quick reference:
- Have a member server available.
- Ensure to update the server with the latest patches, including any required reboots.
- Have the binaries ready:
- SCCM 2012 SP1 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-system-center-2012-configuration-manager-and-endpoint-protection)
- SQL 2012 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=29066)
- Windows ADK 8 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/download/details.aspx?id=30652)
- Windows Server 2012 media to add the .Net Framework 3.5 feature if the SCCM is being installed on Windows Server 2012
b. Extend Active Directory Schema: Considerations for extending the Active Directory Schema can be found at: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/gg712272.aspx
- Create the System Management container
- Log on to the Domain Controller
- Launch the ADSI Edit (adsiedit.msc)
- Connect to Default Naming Context using Default Options
- Locate CN=System, right click on System, and select New Object
- Choose Container, and name the container “System Management”
- Set security permissions on the System Management container
- Launch Active Directory Users and Computers (dsa.msc). Select View/Advanced Features.
- Right click on the new container “System Management” and select Delegate Control.
- Complete the wizard by creating a custom delegation task, and grant full control to the SCCM server computer account over the System Management container.
- Extend the Active Directory schema
- Ensure to be logged on the SCCM server using the schema admin credentials.
- Browse to SCCM 2012 media and execute extadsch.exe found at SMSSETUP/BIN/X64
c. Install ADK 8: The only 3 options required to work with SCCM at this point are Deployment Tools, Windows PE, and USMT.
d. Add IIS Role: Using the server manager, add the IIS role, along with the below mentioned IIS features/ services:
Remote Differential Compression
.Net Framework 3.5
IIS Role Services:
Common HTTP Features
IP and Domain Restrictions
Static Content Compression
Dynamic Content Compression
IIS Management Console
IIS Management Scripts and Tools
IIS 6 Management Compatibilty
IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility
IIS 6 WMI Compatibility
IIS 6 Scripting Tools
IIS 6 Management Console
- Install the WSUS role on the server, but please don’t configure.
- During WSUS installation wizard, when connecting to the DB instance, if the SQL server is remote, and a default instance is used, then simply provide the netbios of the remote sql server.
- Download, and install the supported version of WSUS (min WSUS 3.0 SP2 + KB2720211 + KB2734608.