Hyper-V management tools can be added to your Windows 8 / 8.1 workstation using GUI by launching: Control Panel > Programs and Feature > expand Hyper-V > select the required tool set, and the task is complete.
However, if the power shell makes more sense to you, then the following could be used to achieve the similar task of adding the Hyper-V management tools.
- Ensure to run the power shell console in an elevated mode.
- To find out the state of current tools: Run the following command to query the current state of Hyper-V tools on the local system.Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online | ? featurename -match ‘Microsoft-Hyper-V*’
- To install the required tool set, run the following and the task is complete. (Replace the text in bold with the intended feature.) Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V-All -Online -All -NoRestart
- As illustrated above, there’s a pending reboot which should be performed to complete installation.
- To verify, you could run the previous command to query the current state of Hyper-V tools on the local system.